The First Year College Village is a partnership between the First Year College (FYC) and University Housing, creating a seamless living and learning community for FYC students. The First Year College Village supports college transition and enhances the learning experiences of residents through creative programming and peer support. First Year College Village students reside in Tucker and Owen Halls, the only all-freshman residence halls at NC State.
As a First Year College student, you will have the opportunity to live in the award-winning FYC Village. There are many benefits to living in the FYC Village:
- Great programs and traditions such as Battle for the Beach, the Pack Academic Workshop Series (PAWS), Faculty Fellows, Pack Study walk-in tutoring, and the First Year College Year-End Banquet
- Central location near academic buildings, NCSU Bookstore, Talley Student Center, Fountain Dining Hall, Carmichael Gym and Aquatic Center, Student Health and much more
- Convenient to the FYC Academic Advisor offices, FYC classrooms, and 24-hour computing lab, all located across the street in the FYC Commons
- Peer support from the FYC Resident Mentors (RMs) and Resident Advisors (RAs), who encourage community building, academic excellence, and a positive social environment.
Because of the positive outcomes associated with a Village experience, FYC students who live on campus are required to live in the FYC Village unless they have a medical exception or choose to live in another Village. If you choose to apply to live in another of NC State's 14 Villages, will you will need to note your choices on the housing application.
Things to Know When Applying for On Campus Housing:
1. Even though we hold spaces in Tucker and Owen Halls for FYC students, you must still submit a housing applciation to tell us you want to live on campus.
2. All FYC students who apply to live on campus will be assigned a space in Tucker or Owen Halls unless you choose to live in another Village or have a documented medical exception (in this case please register with the Disability Services Office).
3. When completing your Housing Application you must fill out your emergency contact information, otherwise your application is considered incomplete and will not be processed.
4. If you would like to have a non-FYC student as your roomate please note the following:
a. Both applicants must be accepted into NC State before they can apply for housing. If you are hoping to room with a non-FYC student who has been waitlisted, your request cannot be considered until the waitlisted student is accepted and has completed a Housing Application. The delay may reduce your chances of a successful request.
b. Both applicants must select each other as roommates on the Housing Application. Include name and student ID numbers. Note that you can update this information after the application is submitted.
c. The non-FYC student cannot accept another Village offer while a FYC Village roomate request is pending.
d. Once you have completed the Housing Application you should receive a confirmation email within 24 hours. If you do not receive this email contact University Housing to verify that your application was received.
To learn more about FYC Village and on-campus living contact University Housing.